Zennie62 on YouTube

Sunday, May 2, 2010

2nd Avenue Deli Memories & great food! posted by Suzannah B. Troy

Lynn told me she has the greatest job in the world.  (I have heard that before but only from New York City Firemen, especially long term fire eaters from the old days!)


Remembering Abe......

Lynn credits Abe Lebewohl for the love she has for her job and really for everything she has.  Talk about attitude with gratitude!

Lynn said to me, "Abe was so big hearted."  When she was started working there 17, maybe 18 years ago, she was told she was hired but she had to serve Abe soup first.  For anyone who has not dined at the famous deli you have no idea what an endeavor that is.  All the portions at the 2nd Avenue Deli are huge!!!!!

According to Lynn, Abe still lives...she loves working at the Deli and I get the vibe from her Abe's big hearted energy still can be felt  like a guardian angel accompanying the many photos of Abe with many movers and shakers.  My favorite picture is of Abe and his wife Eleanor with Dustin Hoffman.  Lynn spoke lovingly of Eleanor saying she was such a down to earth woman that when she came to eat you would never know she was Abe's wife.





I  remember being greeted warmly by Abe every time I stopped in.


I also remember when my Uncle passed away I stopped in the Deli when it was really on 2nd Avenue Deli and I need to get a tin of rugelah  and I couldn't reach the shelf high above the counter and a big young teddy bear NYPD officer reached up and got a tin for me.

I do believe one day the NYPD will solve this crime. Call 1-800-577-TIPS (8477); Text "TIP577" (plus your message) to "CRIMES" ( 274637); Submit Internet Tips · rss Subscribe to NYPD Most Wanted RSS ...
www.nyc.gov/nypd   There is a park by St. Marks Church near where the original deli was dedicated to Abe's memory.


I interviewed Jack, Abe's brother asking him when did Abe open the deli?

Jack did the math.  Abe was born in 1931.  He was 23 years old when he opened the del with 2 partners.  Shortly there after they bought out one partner and in the 1960's Abe bought out the other partner becoming the sole owner with soul serving Jewish Soul Food!!!!  Those are my words, not Jacks! I am heavily into soul.

By the way I asked Lynn if you had any celebrity stories I could blog about and she said,
No, discretion is the greater part of valor!   I asked Jack as well....similiar response but the walls are filled with photos of celebrities, NY characters, politicians, sport stars & their owners as well as Yiddish theatre stars!!!!!

Lynn is the official Jewish Mother on the premises and decided since my tummy hurt I was to have ginger ale, no ice, no straw and that I must slowly sip my soda.  She recommended kasha varniskes for me.

My Dad is the true driving force that brings me to 2nd Avenue Deli.  We  had a great time.  I did because I love my Dad as well as the Jewish soul food.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Visit the new Zennie62.com

 
Google Analytics Alternative